Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween


Ahhh...Halloween. You gotta love a holiday that makes cake and cookies look healthy by comparison.

This year, I had my usual battle with Derek to try to convince him to be something not bloody and oozing. Guess that's part of my lot in life with a house full of boys. I finally put my money where my mouth was and bought him a pricey Jango Fett costume just to avoid the $13 bloody face guy. But, hey... how can you put a price on winning the battle of the costumes?

Nathan was a doctor - not because he wanted to be a doctor, but because the costume came with fun toys. Later he changed his mind, but I told him he could pick a different costume next year. Score two for mom!

Finally, little Trevor was a tough-guy hockey player. Derek wore this same "costume" (really just a Flyers jersey) at Trevor's age, but had a real black eye to go along with it. Trevor sported his eyebrow scar, but you couldn't see it. We managed to get Derek's hockey helmet on Trevor, which covered his entire head and neck. He loved it and wore it the whole time trick or treating - until he discovered he couldn't eat chocolate with a full face mask. Priorities, you know!

Halloween is one of those times I feel just a *tiny* bit jealous of the moms of girls. The boys costumes just aren't that fun and the older they get, the worse they get. I loved seeing all the little girls in their sparkles and foofy dresses. Guess with a house of boys handing down their costumes to each other, there's more money in the budget for my Cinderella costume ; ).

No comments: